As we learned last week, oatmeal has many nutritional benefits. What if you could take those health benefits up a notch? How you make and create your oatmeal dishes can add extra nutrients and flavor.
- Dried or Fresh Fruit will add some extra sweetness and texture as well as vitamins and minerals.
- Nuts and Seeds add a crunch to your creamy oatmeal and some healthy fat to make your oatmeal more satisfying. Add slivered almonds, crushed peanuts, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, or chia seeds for some extra texture and nutrition.
- Maple Syrup, Honey, or Jam are more concentrated sources of sweetness for your oatmeal. These additions will make your oatmeal more flavorful!
- Fresh Spices or Herbs are a way to boost the taste of your oatmeal without the extra sweetness. For a warmer and sweeter flavor try adding cinnamon, nutmeg, or pumpkin pie spice. For a more savory taste, try garlic, pepper, or curry. Herbs and spices are high in antioxidants.
- Nut Butters are a great way to add some protein and fat to your oatmeal. Stir them in for a thicker consistency or spread on top.
- Milk or Yogurt add calcium, vitamin D, and protein to your oatmeal. Cooking your oats with dairy will also make your oats creamier.
- Vegetables add even more fiber to your oatmeal.
- Eggs will boost the protein content and add nutrients like B vitamins and choline.
What are your favorite oatmeal toppings?