We typically think of tomatoes in sauces, stews, salads, sandwiches, or on top of pizza. Today, we’re showcasing tomatoes as a superfood in a different way. But don’t worry, you can still put it on a sandwich.
Since tomatoes are scientifically fruits, we’re using them to make tomato jam. This nutritious and tasty recipe is “jam” packed with the antioxidant lycopene and vitamin A from tomatoes, and is flavored with fresh herbs and spices.
Spread this recipe on a hamburger bun, sandwich, grilled cheese, or breakfast wrap, to get your tomatoes fill this month!
Ingredients (makes 16, 2 TBSP servings)
- 12 oz fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 fresh lime, juiced
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger root, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 fresh jalapeno, diced
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy bottom saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has a consistency of thick jam – about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed, then cool and refrigerate until ready to use. This will keep for at least 1 week.