This recipe is a great start to DASHing your way to better health. It falls right into the DASH diet by including plant based protein, tons of healthy fat, and it’s low in sodium. This Walnut Lentil Dip is very similar to hummus, so try it out with some veggies or whole wheat crackers to dip.
Walnut Lentil Dip
Ingredients (makes 16 servings):
- 1/3 cup Lentils, dry
- 1 cup Onions, yellow, diced
- 1 Tbsp Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound Walnuts, halved
- 3 Tbsp Miso paste, white
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice, fresh
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- ½ cup Water
- Rinse lentils and place in pot with water 3 inches above. Bring to a boil and simmer until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and cool the lentils.
- Toast the walnuts until lightly browned and aromatic.
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and puree until a smooth consistency is reached, like hummus. Add more water if needed.
Portion size: ¼ cup