Here it is! The ultimate root to stem recipe – embracing all of the Stop Food Waste Day techniques. This recipe is full of taste, but there is no waste!
Waste Not Compost Salad
Ingredients (makes 7 servings):
- 4 oz Radish, sliced thin
- 9 oz Carrots (orange, yellow, purple, or a combination of colors)
- 6 oz Apple, honey crisp
- 2 oz Pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 oz Shallots, minced
- 1 each Lime
- 2 oz Rice vinegar, seasoned
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground black pepper
- For the carrots, wash and spiralize or peel into strips. SAVE the tops.
- Wash, thinly slice, and julienne the radish and apples. RESERVE the apple scraps.
- Separate vegetables/fruits and cover with cold water until you are ready to serve.
- In a blender – add apple scraps, carrot tops (washed and chopped), minced shallots, zest and juice of lime, and seasoned rice vinegar. Puree until smooth. Slowly drizzle oil until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain all fruits and vegetables well, and add pumpkin seeds. Add the vinaigrette to the chopped fruits and vegetables. Toss well to combine.