So the sun is shining, the weather is nice, and you’re stuck in your office all day. Finding time to be active during a jam-packed work day can be challenging. But, did you know that small bursts of physical activity throughout your day helps to increase energy levels and productivity? In general, exercise helps decrease stress levels, increase brainpower, and improve creativity, all of which lead to better job performance. Have you ever experienced that mid-day slump? Instead of grabbing a cup of coffee, try getting up and moving around with these quick ideas:
- Stand up: just by standing up and getting the blood flowing, you can start to feel your energy levels rise. Try investing in a moveable desk with a standing option, or listen to a conference call while standing up.
- Walk around: instead of calling or emailing a fellow office employee with a question, take a stroll over to their desk. During your lunch break, go for a short walk around the block to enjoy the fresh air.
- Moving meetings: now that the weather is nice, get your coworkers together for a walking meeting. Physical activity can make meetings more productive by decreasing distractions from emails or text messages and increasing our energy levels to help us think more clearly and logically. Plus, some fresh air and sunshine is always nice.
- Take the stairs: do you move from floor to floor communicating with coworkers in your building? Try taking the stairs for a quick activity break during your day.
- Set a timer: create an alarm on your phone to go off a few times during the day, which indicates it’s time for a short break to get those juices flowing! Do some basic, office friendly exercises every time that alarm goes off – squats, walking lunches, arm circles, jumping jacks, etc.
The next time you’re looking for an energy boost, stand up, walk around, or get some fresh air. Get your coworkers involved and moving too! That way everyone increases their energy and productivity, and because everything is more fun with friends.
How do you stay active during the work day?