A fruit salad with grains, who would have thought? To go along with our Wellness Wednesday theme Whole Grain Goodness and National Cholesterol Month – here is a recipe that highlights grains in a different way. This simple, sweet, and refreshing recipe has fiber, protein, and tastes delicious!
Freekeh Fruit Salad with Cinnamon Cider Vinaigrette
Makes 8 servings
Serving Size: ½ cup
- 1 cup Freekeh, cooked
- ½ cup Quinoa, cooked
- 9 oz Orange segments, fresh
- 1 cup Blueberries, fresh
- ½ cup Pineapple, fresh, diced
Cinnamon Cider Vinaigrette
- 1 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ginger root, fresh, grated
- 1 Tbsp Orange juice
- ½ tsp Dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp Canola oil
- Prepare Grains: Cook Freekeh and Quinoa according to package instructions – overcook slightly so they are tender when cold.
- Prepare Cinnamon Cider Vinaigrette: Whisk all ingredients together. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To Serve: Toss together Freekeh, Quinoa, Fruit, and Dressing.