RECIPE: Mushroom and Lentil Sloppy Joes
It is National Vegetarian Month, and after last week’s blog post, we are all about the plant based protein sources! This “sloppy Joe” recipe is a tasty vegan swap for the typical meat version. Serve with crackers, pita, or on top of rice for a hearty, protein packed meal.
Mushroom and Lentil Sloppy Joes
Makes 5 servings
Serving Size: 7 oz
- 1/3 cup Lentils, dry
- 1 cup Water
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 ¼ oz Portobello mushrooms
- ½ each Onion, diced
- ½ cup Carrots, diced
- ½ cup Celery, diced
- ½ each Green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup Crushed tomatoes, canned, including liquids
- 1 Tbsp Red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp Soy sauce
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Ground black pepper
- Prepare lentils according to package.
- To clean portobellos by removing the stems and clean the ribs with a spoon. Wipe the caps clean, cut in half, then cut into smaller pieces to fit in the food processor. Pulse in a food processor to small dice. In a pan, heat ½ the olive oil over medium high heat and sauté the mushrooms until they are browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add the rest of the olive oil to the pan. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and bell pepper and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, red wine vinegar, and brown sugar, and let simmer for 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms back to the pan and add cooked lentils, soy sauce, and mustard. Let simmer for another 5-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and enjoy!