RECIPE: Three Bean Chili
To include February’s Superfood: Chiles – this hearty and delicious recipe will warm you up with its flavor and physically heat you up during this “chilly” winter months!
Three Bean Chili
Makes 6 servings
Serving Size: 8 oz
- 2 each Garlic Cloves, Fresh
- 28 oz Black beans, canned, drained, rinsed
- 28 oz Cannellini beans, canned, drained, rinsed
- 28 oz Kidney beans, canned, drained, rinsed
- 1 each White onion, diced
- 1 each Red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 oz Celery, fresh, diced
- 55 oz Canned tomatoes, crushed, drained
- 1 Tbsp Cumin, ground
- 1 tsp Coriander, ground
- 1 Tbsp Chili powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Ground black pepper
- ¾ tsp Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a deep baking pan, combine spices, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, and coriander. Place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- In a large pot, saute garlic in olive oil and allow the garlic to become fragrant and translucent. Add the onion, celery, and peppers. Saute for 8 minutes. Add 1/3 of the spice mixture to the pot and saute for 10 minutes.
- Add the beans and salt. Cover the pot and allow to cook for 25 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and remaining spices. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and allow to simmer for 2 hours.
- Serve over rice, top with cheese (if you would like), and enjoy!