Fiber has been associated with a ton of health benefits. It can help prevent heart disease by reducing bad cholesterol, slow down how quickly food is digested in the body to stabilize blood sugar, and improve digestive health.
Dietary fiber can be found in foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grain products, legumes, nuts, and seeds. It’s important to include a variety of these fiber-full foods in your everyday diet because different types of fiber have different health benefits.
Here are some tips to help boost the fiber content of your meals:
- Grind oats into oat flour and add to baked goods, breads, meatloaf, or veggie burgers.
- Choose whole grain breads and add extra veggies to sandwiches and wraps.
- Try whole wheat or bean pastas — yes, there are now pastas made from black beans, lentils, chickpeas, and edamame that are all great sources of fiber!
- Volumize soups and stews with tons of added veggies. You can also add barley or quinoa to soups and stews for additional fiber.
- Add beans or lentils to salads.
- Blend fruits and veggies into smoothies.
With additional fiber, it is super important to stay hydrated! Be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day to reap all the health benefits of fiber.
How will you add fiber to your meals?