December Superfood: Cranberries
Are you crazy for cranberries? Well if you are, you’re in luck! The superfood for December is a holiday favorite. These tiny little berries are one of America’s original super fruits. Cranberries are one of three fruits that are native to North America. Almost 95% of all cranberries are made into familiar products like juice, sauce, or dried. The other 5% are sold raw. Did you know cranberries are around 90% water? Despite being mostly water, cranberries grow on vines in bogs that are layered with sand, gravel, and clay. When they are ready to be harvested, the bogs are filled with water and the cranberries float to the top. Each berry has four air chambers, which cause them to naturally float and bounce. Rich in vitamins C, E, K, fiber and antioxidants, cranberries help protect against urinary tract infections and other chronic diseases. Be sure to pick out your favorite cranberry product to reap all of the superfood benefits.
Did you know…
…Around 200 cranberries are used to make 1 can of sauce
…Approximately 3,333 cranberries are used to make 1 gallon of juice
…White cranberry juice is made from regular mature cranberries, but before they develop their red color
…Cranberries can be stored in the refrigerator for 1 month and the freezer for 9 months
…Americans enjoy 80 million pounds of cranberries every year during the Thanksgiving holiday
Impress your friends and family with these fun facts and sweeten up your dishes with cranberries this holiday season!
- Use cooked cranberries as cake decorations
- Frozen cranberries can help keep holiday drinks cold
- Add dried cranberries to oatmeal, trail mix, and salads
- Put a sweet spin on salsa by adding cranberries
- Try frozen cranberries in a smoothie