RECIPE: Green Apple Salsa
There are so many ways to get an apple a day. Enjoy apples raw or baked, as applesauce or juice. Eat apples a different way each day to reap all of the nutrition and health benefits!
- Bake apple slices into apple chips
- For a sweet dessert, core and stuff apples with raisins, and bake in the oven
- Substitute applesauce for butter, eggs, or sugar in baking recipes
- Dip fresh apples in peanut butter – sprinkle with cinnamon for a sweeter taste
- Add apples into your favorite smoothie
- Top oatmeal or yogurt for a crisp bite
- Add to a salad or sandwich for a sweet crunch
- If your apple is looking for a flavorful friend, this fruit pairs well with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, caramel, and various cheeses.
One of our favorite apple recipes is Green Apple Salsa! Who would have thought apples could be enjoyed in a savory way with onions and cilantro? This super tasty, and easy to prepare recipe goes well on top of fish, chicken, or used as a dip for chips.
Green Apple Salsa
Ingredients (makes 25, 2 ounce portions)
- 4 granny smith apples
- ½ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- Chop apples and onion into small pieces and mix together in a medium-sized serving bowl.
- Finely chop cilantro leaves, then add to apples and onion mixture.
- Stir in lime juice, honey, and salt, mixing well. Let salsa marinade in the fridge for 1-2 hours before serving.