RECIPE: Kale, Farro, and Sweet Potato Salad with Sunflower Seeds
In honor of National Nutrition Month, we are also highlighting the health and nutritional benefits of the Mediterranean Diet with the theme: “Make Every Day Mediterranean.” If you are looking for a way to include all of the Mediterranean Diet components – whole grains, fruits, vegetables, heart healthy fats, beans and legumes, and fresh flavors, this dish is for you! Those components create the perfect mix of fiber, unsaturated fats, plant based protein, whole grains, and a variety of vitamins and minerals. This way of eating is not only delicious, but it has also been shown to help decrease your risk for chronic diseases and improve heart health. Another core focus of the Mediterranean lifestyle is doing daily physical activities you enjoy!
Check out the recipe below to make your day a little more Mediterranean.
Kale, Farro, and Sweet Potato Salad with Sunflower Seeds
Makes 4 servings
Serving Size: 16 oz
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 cups Boiling water
- ¼ cup Farro, dry
- 1 cup Sweet potatoes, peeled, diced
- 2 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 Lb Kale, fresh, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ cup Apples, fresh, peeled, chopped
- 15 oz Garbanzo beans (chickpeas), canned, drained, rinsed
- 1 ½ oz Feta cheese
- ¼ cup Sunflower seeds, unsalted, roasted
- Cook farro according to package instructions. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with olive oil (1 Tbsp) and spread evenly on baking sheet. Roast sweet potatoes for 20-30 minutes, until fork tender. Set aside to cool.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, add chopped and washed kale to a large bowl. Add olive oil (2 Tbsp), lemon juice, and salt to the bowl. Using both hands, massage the kale for 2 minutes. The kale should turn a dark green color and will feel smooth rather than coarse.
- Add apples, sunflower seeds, chickpeas, and feta to the bowl. Mix well. Once farro and sweet potatoes have cooled, add them to the bowl and mix.
- Serve cold and enjoy!